Tuesday, March 22, 2011

100 Sunday lunches

We are hoping and praying to start a new aspect to the ministry we have in SouthEast Portland.  So far we have been advocating for them on the streets and in the courts, we befriend the homeless, we love them, we hang out with them, we drive them to appointments for jobs or visits to the hospital, etc, we help them move their camps when they have been kicked out, we help them get their resume's out, we find them jobs, apartments, help them get their ID, we teach them, we baptize them, visit them in jail, the list goes on and on.  There have been times when we have had a donation here and there for them to receive things from us like tents, Bibles, and once in awhile sack lunches.  They know we are not out there because we have anything tangible to give and so they don't usually ask for things like that.  We were even told by a group when we asked them what they needed with preparing for winter and they just responded by saying,

 "We just want you out here daily guiding and teaching us."

 We were amazed at this response.  It has broken our hearts though because they have stopped serving meals to the homeless in our area on Sundays.  We see them hungry.  We hear them talking about having to steal something little because they were so desperate needing something to eat.  They are eating out of dumpsters.  So, we have an idea that we would like to present to you.

  We would ask if some of you could donate really good sack lunches on Sunday afternoons.  You don't have to do anything but put it together and then we will meet you to pick them up and take them out on the streets to the people.  We would like to serve them starting at 3:30pm each Sunday.  We are asking for 100 lunches  Would you be open to one Sunday a month or every Sunday?  They are so hungry.  This would give us the opportunity to love on them in another way and spend time with them.  This would give you an opportunity to help us help them.

"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me."  Matthew 25:35,36 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home